Easter is early this year and so is spring.The frogs are chirping two weeks earlier than normal as well.
Spring is here! No wait....Yes.... No.....Yes. Sheesh
Due to the recent news about the Zika Virus.Many are already securing their slot in our mosquito service calendar. The Zika virus will not likely make a mosquito borne appearance in the upper midwest. LIKELY, not very reassuring.... The mosquitos common to our area are not known carriers. Which means unless a Southern House Mosquito or Tiger Mosquito works it's way up north? We will be fine.
We have plenty of other mosquito borne diseases to worry about. West Nile being the most likely.
Spectrum Pest Control offers a comprehensive approach to protecting your family from mosquitoes. First and foremost, we identify conditions that would attract and breed mosquitoes. They are far more lazy than you think. If given a choice, they will feed off of those sitting a few feet from their breeding source than they ever would hundreds of yards away.
Top five sources of residential mosquitos.
1. Stagnant birdbaths/ ornamental ponds.
2. Poorly hung gutters that never completely drain.
3. Hidden water reservoirs such as tires, children's toys and sagging pool covers.
4. Poor drainage in turf. Avoid allowing standing water in yard. Especially near permanent bodies of water.
5. Dense foliage near decks and patios. Mosquitos hate air movement. Avoid privacy screens that block proper circulation.
In some areas, the mosquitoes are hard to avoid due to marsh and other bodies of water outside you control. One of the best ways to prevent mosquitoes from spoiling your summer evenings? A large "barn" fan blowing towards where people will be active. Again, mosquitoes hate wind.
I am the owner and sole operator of Spectrum Pest Control. Hope you enjoy my helpful hints, predictions and fun stories.