5. The bed bug is fast climbing the ladder of pest complaints in Kenosha, both the city as well as the county. Years ago, lower income homes and apartment buildings were the most vulnerable. This has changed. Hotels, middle and upper middle class homes, and clinics are starting to occasionally see bed bugs as well as lower income apartments and homes.
Why the continued increase even though chemistry and alternative methods have been "perfected"? Chicago has the honor of being in the top three of several surveys of most bed bug infested cities. Number one in the most recent surveys. Many are moving out of these Chicago neighborhoods into Wisconsin. Kenosha as expected is seeing the highest number of these new residents. Even those who are literally leaving everything but the clothes on their backs, are still inadvertently bringing bed bugs with them.
As the economy improves, so does our abilities to travel to exotic locations. Many are bringing back more than those cheesy souvenirs or T Shirt's.
For more information on what to look for and how to prevent stow away? Go to http://www.kenoshapest.com/bed-bugs.html
4. The German Roach is still a major pest issue in Kenosha, more so in the inner city than single family homes. While the pest control product manufactures were spending lots of money developing better chemistry and technology for roaches, bed bugs have now received equal to even higher priorities. Before bed bugs, roaches garnered some of the top funding in research. This has given us the tools to eliminate roach populations normally considered impossible to even get a hold on.
How do we get roaches if we do not live in or near high risk neighborhoods? Buying anything used will increase chances. This new fad of repurposing old furniture has also driven up roach problems in homes. Not to mention again those pesky bed bugs. Yes, bed bugs will soon knock roaches down another notch in "popularity"
Small specialty food stores can also increase your chances.
Fortunately we can eliminate most roach issues with one or two visits using low to non toxic baits.
3. Spiders and centipedes are a common visited who knows no economic barriers. They love our damp environment. The closer to Lake Michigan or other body of water, the more spiders you will see. Why? They like to feed on the insects that thrive in these moist environments. Carpenter ants, mosquitoes, midges, earwig's, flies, box elder bugs, Asian lady beetles and more are all ideal food for spiders. YUCK!
Controlling your environment around and in your home will naturally reduce the number of spider and centipede encounters. Moisture control: yes keep moisture to a healthy level. Run dehumidifiers during the warm months. Store items off the basement floors. Run exhaust fans while showering or boiling water. Keep mulch around exterior of house to no more that two to three inches deep. Turn mulch several times per season. Trim bushes and trees away from structure. Avoid plantings that will touch foundation. Make sure there is not a weed tarp with in the first foot or two from foundation. This gives extra shelter for critters as well as requires more chemicals in order to control pest attracted to these soil zones. Avoid bright lights shining on structure all night long. If using lighting for security, avoid mercury vapor lights. Use sodium vapor instead. Also have the light source off the structure shining towards building or home instead.
Spectrum Pest Control exploits these surfaces and will apply a non staining odorless barrier where lighting shines, creating elimination zones. This reduces the over all volume of product used.
2. Wasp, Hornets and Yellow Jackets are our number two most common complaint call for service. The common paper wasp with are the ones with those paper cones that almost look like umbrellas hanging on your over hangs or behind shutters, just beyond your reach. Most of the season they are non aggressive. As their hive reaches the typical diner plate size, they do develop an attitude if you are active near their hive. There is a European species that like to build hives lower to the ground under deck railings and in children's play sets. Increasing the chances of multiple stings.
The common yellow jacket, German wasp or picnic bee. Are primarily void nesting wasp. They build the same paper cone or comb that paper wasp build except they also build a protective paper machete "bag" around the hive. This protective barrier can make most over the counter chemicals ineffective at best and even dangerous. How can these make it dangerous? If the chemical sprays do not reach the interior of the hive, it can agitate the wasp or worse yet, block their main entrance into hive, causing them to chew their way out, thus right through drywall and into the living space of your home!
Prevention is possible yet not fool proof. Sealing up as many holes and gaps in siding and overhangs will help. Pay particular attention to the foundation and siding juncture. In these spots mortar joint material will sometimes crumble or missed by the mason all together. Fortunately Spectrum Pest Control performs a free pest proofing inspection with all their services.
1. The top insect pest complaint in Kenosha County including Pleasant Prairie, Bristol, Somers, Salem, Paris, Trevor, Twin Lakes, Silver Lake, Paddock Lake, Camp Lake, Wheatland and others is.........
The Carpenter Ant tied with the pavement ant! Many other ants are catching up as well. The Odorous House Ant, Rover Ant, Acrobatic Ant, Pharaoh Ant as well as the smaller Western Carpenter ant are trying to steal the show as well.
Carpenter ant prevention relies heavily on moisture control. They prefer to nest in water damaged wood. Be it in the over hang where ice jams occur or window and door sills where the caulk has degraded . Railroad ties are also a hot spot, dead tree stumps including those that were ground down bellow the surface. Leaking toilets and tub enclosures also make friendly homes for at least the worker ants. Forgers and winged reproductive's love drier locations such as hollow doors and even curtain rods. These locations are referred to as satellite sites.
Many of the other ants we deal with are also drawn to these locations, just less damaging.
So there you have it. Kenosha's top five insect pest complaints. There are many honorable mentions that cannot be ignored. Mosquitoes, Asian Lady Beetles, Box Elder Bugs, and Fleas.
Our number two pest complaint over all is MICE!
I am the owner and sole operator of Spectrum Pest Control. Hope you enjoy my helpful hints, predictions and fun stories.